Pilates is a fantastic form of body and core strengthening exercise with emphasis on improving general fitness and wellbeing. It is also fantastic to help with rehabilitation following injury or surgery or general body maintenance. It suits everyone of all ages & abilities.
Pilates has a history deeply rooted in rehabilitation, originally began in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates as an early form of the discipline called ‘Contrology’ working with gymnasts & athletes in rehabilitation. He strongly felt the link between physical and mental health and worked using a baseline of 34 mat exercises and the equipment, which he designed & built (the early models) himself.
When you come to a Pilates matwork class you can expect to perform exercises on a mat on the floor with or without small equipment props, such as balls, bands & rings.
From a fitness point of view it focuses on movement and breathing and the Pilates principle of core stabilisation addresses postural muscle strength and control, and as such it is also similar to most orthopaedic rehabilitation and therapy, therefore making Pilates suitable for all.
When attending a matwork class you can expect to have expert guidance from our wonderful teachers, who will help to tailor your practice to your individual needs and all of whom will bring their own style and flair to their classes.
“In 10 sessions you will feel the difference, in 20 you will see the difference and in 30 you will have a whole new body” – Joseph Pilates
Classes are booked directly through the teachers and you can find out more about them on their individual Sunflower pages and own websites.
- With a background in dance, personal fitness and yoga, Jenny has specialist Pilates training focusing on rehabilitation–based practice, which includes those with serious injuries and conditions.
- Lucy is a qualified and experienced Pilates teacher, teaching ante-natal and postnatal Matwork Pilates Classes as well as 1:1 classes in the Pilates Equipment Studio
- As a qualified and experienced Matwork Pilates teacher, Theresa utilises small pieces of equipment (soft balls, bands, fitness circles) in exercise series that focus on stabilising the central core
- With training in Aromatherapy, Massage, Yoga, Pilates and Reiki, Vicky is offering Pilates Matwork classes and monthly Moon Circles, which incorporate Yoga, essential oils and meditation
- Hilary is a Pilates Foundation-qualified instructor who runs Pilates matwork classes at the Sunflower Centre