Osteopathy can help pregnant mothers adapt to the postural changes involved in pregnancy and prepare for the delivery of their baby. A pelvis that is free to move is one that a baby will find much more comfortable to lie within and easier to pass through.
Sciatica, trapped nerves, rib pain, sacro-iliac joint and pubic symphisis problems are all relatively common during pregnancy because of the fast changing demands on the body; all of these are readily treated with osteopathy. Heartburn and shortness of breath can also be eased by working on the centre back and diaphragm areas.
All our osteopaths are experienced in treating pregnant women, however may vary in which techniques they use during the treatment. For further advice it is best to speak with one of them by calling reception.
Homeopathy Pregnancy is a wonderful time to discover homeopathy if you have never used it before, or become further acquainted if you already are familiar with it. Being the gentle therapy it is, homeopathic remedies can be used safely throughout pregnancy.
Homeopathy can be used to help with morning sickness, cramps, swelling and all the other symptoms that can occur during pregnancy.
During childbirth again remedies can help throughout labour and birth and can also be very good postnatally to help with maternal healing.
Pregnancy Massage can help to reduce physical discomfort, promote relaxation and help with stress, anxiety and insomnia that can be experienced during pregnancy.
Alexander Technique Learning the Alexander Technique can help you to prevent or alleviate conditions associated with undue tension or poor posture. These include many difficulties with movement, joint and muscle problems, breathing disorders, and stress-related conditions. It can help provide support during pregnancy and preparation for childbirth.
Yoga for pregnancy classes Classes are currently held on Wednesdays at 6.30pm and Saturdays at 9.30am and 11am and last for 60 minutes.
Antenatal Pilates Lucy Swann runs these classes on a Thursday at 12.15 – 1.15pm and 7-8pm
Reflexology Pregnancy is a time of change. It becomes most noticeable on a physical level, but often first affects all women on emotional and spiritual levels too. You may feel comfortable and healthy in your evolving body, balanced and calm in your mind. Or you may feel uneasy with your changing shape, finding the “minor ailments of pregnancy” intolerable and feel at the mercy of your hormones. However you are feeling during pregnancy, reflexology is particularly suitable during this time and is suitable, in most cases, from the first months after conception, right through your pregnancy, childbirth and beyond.
Reflexology can be beneficial for: Pregnancy sickness and nausea, digestive problems e.g. constipation, diarrhoea, heartburn; boosting energy levels; back and hip discomfort; sciatica; swelling and puffiness; malpositioning of babies i.e. helping turn posterior (back-to-back), breech or transverse-lying babies; overdue babies, often avoiding the need for chemical induction.
Postnatally, reflexology can help rebalance your hormonal system and deal with postnatal problems such as digestive imbalances, fatigue and emotional adjustment.
Psychotherapy, Counselling and Coaching Sometimes the journey into motherhood can be rocky, and not all pregnancies are successful. If you are struggling with this transition, Maria Yasnova offers life coaching for motherhood and beyond. If you need help with pregnancy loss, Eloise Raab has much experience in this area.
- The five Sunflower Centre osteopaths have over 90 years’ experience between them.
- The body needs specific support as it adapts to the changing needs and shifts in posture through the pregnancy, after the birth and beyond
- Ante & Postnatal Pilates is designed to support you through the physical changes of pregnancy, preparing you for birth and setting you up for your postnatal recovery.
- Can help ease any aches or pains from pregnancy and help relieve any emotional stress. Suitable after the first trimester.
- Five Element and TCM Acupuncture can help with a wide range of acute and chronic conditions, including physical, mental and emotional concerns
- Homeopathy is a holistic system of treatment that stimulates the body’s natural healing responses. It can help with acute as well as chronic conditions
- Through the application of gentle pressure to the reflex points of the feet and hands, the reflexologist helps to bring about deep relaxation and stimulates the body’s own healing responses
- Breastfeeding consultancy guides you through all stages of breastfeeding, from antenatal preparation through to postnatal feeding, including assessments and referrals
- Life and executive coaching can help to navigate life’s difficult transitions, overcome limiting beliefs, build resilience and shape a more meaningful life
Yoga for Pregnancy
Wednesdays 6.30pm – 7.30pm
Saturdays 9.30am – 10.30am
Thursdays 12.15pm – 1.15pm amd 7pm – 8pm